Town of Cheraw

Reach Us (843) 537-8400

Stay Informed

Enfield

Download: Enfield
Gallery Image # 19

Built around 1815 by General Erasmus Powe, a veteran of the War of 1812, as a wedding present for his daughter Martha, and her new husband, John Ellerbe, this Cheraw home at 135 McIver Street is known as "Enfield". Local history indicates that General Powe was also responsible for planting the row of cedars in front of the house, now in the median of Cedar Avenue. During the Civil War, this was the headquarters of General Oliver Howard, second in command to General William Sherman, a most convenient arrangement since Sherman took over the house at 143 McIver Street as his headquarters. This home is part of the Cheraw Historic District, the 213-acre site listed on the National Register of Historic Places.



Tags: Architecture Community




Back to Photo Gallery   Share with a Friend