Named for the Cheraw Indians, whose main town was nearby, Cheraw began as a small trading post at the head of navigation on the Great Pee Dee River. Joseph and Eli Kershaw were granted a part of what is now Cheraw in 1768, and shortly thereafter laid out the present wide streets and town green. This is now the nucleus of the 213 acre National Register Cheraw Historic District, rich with gardens and parks and the architectural legacy of more than 200 years.
Cheraw is a beautiful place in all seasons. Winter camellias give way to spring azaleas and fall leaves and residents have more time to enjoy their families, friends and outdoor adventures.
The Cheraw Visitors Bureau has many brochures available to help in plan your visit. Want to learn more? Request a Visitor Package for more information about Cheraw, SC and all our beautiful town has to offer.
Located in Chesterfield County, SC, Cheraw is a great place to build your business.
Cheraw, SC a beautiful town - historically and culturally rich and a wonderful place to visit or those who are looking for a new place to call home or start a business.
Shown is the Inglis-McIver Law Office, located on the Cheraw Town Green. John A. Inglis, one of the partners in this practice, was the chairman of the committee that drew up the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession from the Union. Chesterfield County was the first in the state to call for secession, and on December 20, 1860, South Carolina became the first Southern state to declare its secession and later formed the Confederacy. Inglis later served as Chancellor of the state courts, and his one time home remains at 226 Third Street. The law office for Inglis and Henry McIver was built on Front Street around 1820, and the Greek Revival structure was one of few commercial buildings to survive an accidental explosion during the Confederate War. The building was moved to the Town Green in 1948.
Copyright © 2017 Town of Cheraw