Town of Cheraw

Reach Us (843) 537-8400

Cheraw Police Department

Download: Cheraw Police Department
Gallery Image # 16

There's a good reason why the Cheraw Police Department resembles a train station. While the tracks are long gone, this structure was originally built in 1916 as a freight station by the Atlantic Coastline Railroad to accommodate Cheraw's bustling cotton market. Extensive cotton platforms were once located behind the station, and a short side track positioned along Duvall Street connected with the main railroad track. Across the street were rows of cotton warehouses. For many years, a cotton market operated in the center of downtown's Market Street. The freight station was renovated as the town's police headquarters in the 1980's with a second renovation and expansion ten years later.



Tags: Architecture Community




Back to Photo Gallery   Share with a Friend