Town of Cheraw

Reach Us (843) 537-8400

Stay Informed

Market Hall

Download: Market Hall
Gallery Image # 18

Standing on the corner of Market and Second streets for over 175 years is Market Hall, one of Cheraw's most significant buildings. Built around 1837, this steepled building was designed by Conlaw Peter Lynch. Mr. Lynch was also responsible for the design of St. Peter's Catholic Church, which explains the similarities of the two buildings. The lower portion of Market Hall was originally an open area where traditional commerce transactions took place, and on occasion personal property was auctioned here, including African slaves. The upstairs was once used as a court of law, and in the 1940's housed the town's police department.



Tags: Architecture Community




Back to Photo Gallery   Share with a Friend